Sunday, 24 May 2026

Tamara Lich to sue Ottawa police, Crown attorney for ‘malicious prosecution’

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Featured Image
Protesters demand the release of Tamara Lich from jail.Shutterstock

OTTAWA, Ontario (LifeSiteNews) — Freedom Convoy leader Tamara Lich, who was jailed for weeks over her role in opposing COVID mandates, said she will be suing the Ottawa Police, a Crown prosecutor, and others for “malicious prosecution & negligent investigation.”

Lich announced the lawsuit on Tuesday via an X post, in which she said it was her “Stand Against Malicious Prosecution and Negligent Investigation.”

“I’m pleased to announce that I have filed a lawsuit against the Ottawa Police, the Crown prosecutor, and others for malicious prosecution & negligent investigation because this isn’t just about me; it’s about stopping this kind of abuse so no Canadian ever faces it again,” she wrote.

Lich noted that her lawsuit will be a “daunting undertaking” and has started a GiveSendGo campaign to “help fund the fight,” which she said will involve a $25,000 retainer and costs estimated at around $100,000.

Her statement of claim was filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and lists the Ottawa Police, some of their personnel, the Crown prosecutor, and the Attorney General of Ontario.

Lich noted how she and Chris Barber, who is not listed in the statement of claim, were subjected to the “longest mischief trial in the history of the Commonwealth.”

“Both of us were convicted of mischief for our part in the most peaceful and polite protest of all time, and sentenced to 18 months of house arrest.”

On October 7, 2025, Ontario Court Justice Heather Perkins-McVey sentenced Lich and Barber to 18 months’ house arrest after they were convicted earlier in the year of “mischief.”

Lich and Barber were declared guilty of “mischief” for their roles as leaders of the protest against COVID mandates in April 2022, and as social media influencers. The conviction came after a nearly two-year trial despite the non-violent nature of the popular movement.

As reported by LifeSiteNews, both Lich and Barber have filed appeals of their own against their house arrest sentences, arguing that the trial judge did not correctly apply the law on their mischief charges.

Lich recounts being shackled and treated like ‘violent criminal’

Lich noted that when she went to pick up an award from the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, which she said was allowed under her bail conditions, a Canada-wide arrest warrant was issued against her.

“There was no investigation. No call to my lawyer. It was issued like I was a violent criminal,” she said.

“Homicide detectives flew me back to Ottawa in leg shackles, I lost my job, precious time with my family, was denied bail, and spent 30 days in remand. All for a non-violent mischief case,” she said.

In early 2022, the Freedom Convoy saw thousands of Canadians from coast to coast come to Ottawa to demand an end to COVID mandates in all forms. Despite the peaceful nature of the protest, Trudeau’s federal government enacted the Emergencies Act in mid-February.

Trudeau had disparaged Canadians who chose not to get the COVID shots, saying that opposing his measures were of a “small, fringe minority” who hold “unacceptable views” and do not “represent the views of Canadians who have been there for each other.”

After the protesters were cleared out, which was achieved through the freezing of bank accounts of those involved without a court order, as well as the physical removal and arrest of demonstrators, Trudeau revoked the Emergencies Act on February 23, 2022.

At the time, seven of Canada’s 10 provinces opposed Trudeau’s use of the EA.

As reported by LifeSiteNews in January, the Canadian Federal Court of Appeal affirmed in a ruling that Trudeau’s use of the Emergencies Act was illegal.

In essence, the appeals court upheld a 2024 ruling by Federal Court Justice Richard Mosley that Trudeau’s use of the Emergencies Act was “not justified.”

Despite this, the Canadian government will appeal the decision.

 
 
 
 
 Campaign Image
 
 
 
 
Campaign Image

My Stand Against Malicious Prosecution

Over four years have passed since my participation in the most peaceful and polite protest of all time; the Canadian Freedom Convoy. It’s been over four years since Chris Barber and I were arrested on the streets of Ottawa, mere days following the unconstitutional and unlawful invocation of the Emergencies Act by the Liberal government. The invocation saw bank accounts frozen, insurance policies suspended, the forceful, violent removal of peaceful Canadians, and truckers and supporters arrested.


For our part, Chris and I endured the longest mischief trial in the history of the Commonwealth. The Crown prosecutor made repeated attempts to charge me with a breach of conditions violation and remanded to custody until trial; and on one occasion he was successful. Chris and I convicted in April of 2025 of mischief and sentenced October 7, 2025, to 18 months of house arrest. Granted some time served, my sentence will conclude on January 21, 2027. 


I have secured the services of a civil litigation lawyer from Toronto based Loopstra Nixon and have launched a lawsuit against the Ottawa Police Service, the Ottawa Police Services Board, the Attorney General of Ontario, the original Crown Prosecutor on our file, the two Ottawa Police Services detectives assigned to our mischief case, and His Majesty the King in right of Ontario for malicious prosecution and negligent investigation. My goal is to ensure transparency, accountability, and justice are brought to those involved in decisions and actions leading to the unprecedented treatment I was subjected to will never happen to another Canadian ever again.


BACKGROUND:

June 16, 2022, after a successful bail variation allowing me to enter Ontario, I attended the Justice Center for Constitutional Freedoms. George Jonas Freedom Award dinner in Toronto. I had the honour of being the recipient of the award in 2022. A group photo was taken as we were exiting the event; it included Tom Marazzo. While there was a No Contact order in place between myself an Mr. Marazzo, my conditions explicitly stated I was allowed to communicate with him in the presence of counsel. Despite being surrounded by lawyers (some of whom were representing both myself and Tom), the photo was sent to the Crown prosecutors office in Ottawa. The Crown responded by issuing a Canada wide warrant for my arrest with little to no investigation on his part, the part of his office, or by the homicide detectives assigned to our mischief case. A phone call of inquiry was not even made to my criminal defence lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon. 

On June 27, 2022, while commuting home from work, I was pulled over by the Medicine Hat City Police a block from my home. I assumed it was a random stop and questioned whether I had been speeding on the highway. As I handed the young officer my license, registration, and insurance, he informed me that he was arresting me on a Canada wide warrant. I laughed honestly and naively. It seemed so surreal that it couldn’t possibly be true. For my participation in the Freedom Convoy, I was facing a non-violent, mischief charge. Mischief is a summary offence in Canada, generally dealt with through fines or probation, especially for a first-time offender.


In a move reserved for violent murderers, sexual offenders and drug traffickers, the Ottawa Crown prosecutor issued a Canada wide warrant for my arrest; the first of its kind for allegations of breach of conditions for a mischief charge. I was taken into custody, flown back to Ottawa in leg shackles by two Ottawa Police Service homicide detectives, denied bail by a justice of the peace, and held in remand for 30 days. As a result, I lost a job I loved and was good at, lost precious time with my family and grandchildren, and potentially facing over a year in pretrial custody if the Crown had had its way. Finally, a Superior Court judge released me after finding errors in the Justice’s ruling, himself delivering a scathing decision noting the Justice’s and prosecutors’ behaviour and famously ordered the bailiff to “TAKE THOSE SHACKLES OFF” of me.


This lawsuit has my name on it, but it’s about so much more than me. It’s about ensuring the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is upheld for all Canadians. It’s about ensuring proper due diligence and due process are followed in the future so no one else has to go through what I went through. The rule of law must be applied to all equally and not doled out, persecution-style, to citizens that the government doesn’t like. This is a daunting, but necessary task and that’s why I am launching this crowdfund, asking for those that want to help me see this through, to consider a contribution to the incredible legal fees that this case will require.  This is a civil matter, and I am seeking damages although it’s unlikely damages will be awarded should this lawsuit conclude successfully. These types of cases are typically difficult to win, but then nothing about our cases have been typical. Should it happen that an award is granted, I will take a small portion for remediation.The remaining funds will be split evenly and donated to The Democracy Fund and the Justice Center for Constitutional Freedoms. It’s difficult to know where many of us would be today if it hadn’t been for these two charitable organizations stepping up to fight for Canadians against injustice. It’s important, now more than ever, that they have our support.


After consultation with my lawyer, I understand that the litigation could cost upwards of $100,000.00 or more if it is vigorously defended and goes the whole way through trial. After an initial retainer deposit has been covered, the funds will be withdrawn only as needed. Should extra funds remain, they will be returned to the donors by Give Send Go. You will find the full statement of claim at www.officialtamaralich.com and I will provide regular updates as the case progresses.


WHY I CHOSE GIVESENDGO

From personal experience I know Jacob Wells to be a man of integrity and honour. He prioritizes respect and protection to campaign donors on the GSG platform above all else. In the winter of 2022, Mr. Wells took an impressive stand against the Ontario government after they threatened to seize Freedom Convoy donations crowdfunded on GiveSendGo. Except for donations already in the Stripe payment processing system at the time, he was able to refund the remaining millions before the lawyers could complete their paperwork. I will be forever grateful for this organization that has been able to help so many and to the hearts and minds behind it who embody faith, family and freedom.


Whether it’s prayers, a small donation, or a message of encouragement, your support means so much. Together we can continue to fight for accountability and justice against malicious prosecution and negligent investigation.


Much love & gratitude,

Tamara Lich


Updates

Prayer Requests

Click the Pray button to let the campaign owner know you are praying for them.

My Stand Against Malicious Prosecution

GoalCA$100,000 CAD
RaisedCA$71,294 CAD

Campaign created byTamara Lich

Campaign funds will be received by Tamara Lich

Recent Donations
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment